Monday, September 21, 2009

God Hears From Heaven

"In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I called. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry."  (2 Samuel 22:7).

This is truly one of the most encouraging passages in Scripture. To know that the creator of all is mindful of me brings great comfort and courage to face the circumstances of life and the attacks of the devil.  Even the Psalmist was amazed at the thought that God could be mindful of man (Ps 8:4).  God is so in tune with his creation that the birds can't even move without his noticing (Matt. 10:29).  I am always encouraged by the Lord’s own words “I will never forsake you” (Heb. 13:5).  Of course that is a quote from a couple of Old Testament passages.  Joshua was reassured by God that just as he was with Moses every step of the way so he would be with him also.  These beautiful words were given to Solomon from his father “Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the LORD God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you…” (1 Chr. 28:20).

One of the most devastating tools the devil has is discouragement.  If he can steal our courage he can get us to doubt God’s love for us and our ability to overcome through God’s grace.  When we fall into this terrible trap sin truly “crouches at our door” (Gen. 4:7).  Happily, the Bible abounds with encouragement to know that when God is for us nothing or no one can be against us (Rm. 8:31).  The great news for us is the one who lives in us is greater than the one in the world (1 Jn. 4:4).  God’s tools break down all the flimsy tools of Satan (2 Cor 10:4).

Please never forget that God hears from heaven (2 Chr 6:39ff), the prayers of his people.  He is listening for you today.  He listens for the call of the saint and yearns for the penitent prayer of the sinner (2 Chr. 6:38).

Joseph D. Chase
Missionary
Joe sends out inspirational tweets along with tips for worship leaders.  You can follow me at worshipleading on twitter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment